At the heart of my work is a desire to find the intersection of art and design, where the relationship of shape, form, color, line and mark-making work in harmony to communicate, guide, and engage the viewer in a unique experience.
My curiosity leads me to many different modes of expression which is why I easily move between a variety of mediums. It’s all fair game to me, as long as design, expression, and visual narrative are considered in context of structure and composition, and that I’m having fun in the process.
I’m inspired by landscapes from my travels or just outside my studio window, the human form, emotional and interpersonal interaction, personal struggles, form, color, and negative space.
PauI was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio, the sixth of eight children. His dad, a dry cleaner by trade but an artist at heart, was constantly engaging the family in various art and creative endeavors. Early on Paul latched onto to his visual arts sensibilities, and spent his youth creating, building, and dreaming of being an artist of one sort or another.
His interest in art led him to a career in graphic design. He graduated from The University of Cincinnati’s College of Design, Art and Architecture in 1982, and has practiced in the Boston area since then, where he owns and operates Kroner Design, a brand and visual communications design firm.
But fine art remained a passion of Paul’s, and in mid-career, he started to seriously pursue his dream of being a fine artist. One class led to another and then to his own studio where his practice has really taken off. His current studio is located on the top floor of the Taza Chocolate factory in Somerville, MA, where the scent of stone ground chocolate perfumes the air as he paints, sculpts or designs.
Paul’s curiosity leads him to explore many different modes of expression in a variety of mediums – from direct observation and abstract paintings in oil and acrylic to sculptural works cast in bronze and found objects. He considers all creative exploration fair game, as long as design, expression, and visual narrative are considered in context of structure and composition, and that he is having fun in the process.
In addition to his design studies at UC, Paul has studied sculpture and painting at the Massachusetts College of Art and The International School of Painting, Drawing, and Sculpture in Umbria, Italy. His work has been shown in numerous galleries and solo and group shows in New England and Ohio, and is in several private collections.
- Paul Kroner: Portraits, SCATV Gallery, Union Square, Somerville, MA
- Winner of the 3rd Annual Canvas Fine Arts (CFA) contest, 29 Newbury Street, Boston MA, Juried by ART NEW ENGLAND publisher Rita Fucillio, BNN TV It’s All About Arts Host Glenn Williams,and CEO of CFA Suzanne Schultz
- Paul Kroner | Seen + Felt, Touch Art Gallery, Cambridge, MA
- Kakafo Cafe, Solo Exhibit, Cambridge, MA
- Daniel’s Gallery, Solo Exhibit, Hebrew Rehabilitation Center, Boston, MA
- The Kroner Brothers, Ruth’s Parkside Cafe, Cincinnati, OH
- Metal and Fire: The Children of Vulcan, Juried William Turville and Ecco Pierce,Nave Gallery, Somerville, MA
- 14th Annual National Prize Show, Cambridge Artist Association, Juried Caitlin Doherty, Deputy Director of Curatorial Affairs at the Broad Art Museum at Michigan State, Kathryn Schultz Gallery, Cambridge, MA14th Annual
- National Prize Show, Cambridge ArtisAssociationon, Juried Caitlin Doherty, Deputy Director of Curatorial Affairs at the Broad Art Museum at Michigan
- Inside Outside 2014, Juried by,Turtle Studios, Watertown, MA
- Pretty/Ugly, Juried by Camillo Alvarez, Kathryn Schultz Gallery, Cambridge, MA
- New Member Show, Cambridge Artist Association, Kathryn Schultz Gallery, Cambridge, MA
- Body in Lines, Nave Gallery Annex, Juried Group Show, Somerville, MA
- Recycle, Kathryn Schultz Gallery, Juried Group Show, Cambridge, MA
- Artists’ Choice Exhibit @ Somerville Museum, Group Show, Somerville, MA
- Inside out Gallery, Juried Show, Somerville, MA
- Salon 21, The Nave Gallery, Juried Show, Somerville, MA
- AIDS Action Committee, Cambridge, MA
- 2010 Raise The Roof, Cambridge, MA
- Emerging East Cambridge Artists, Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center, Cambridge, MA